Sunday, May 1, 2016

Bon Appetit/Cooking Without Recipe


Header Bonappetit Logo

Egg Salad: The True Breakfast of Champions

Egg Salad: The True Breakfast of Champions photo
Credit: Alex Lau

Welcome to Cooking Without Recipes, in which we teach you how to make a dish we love, but don’t worry too much about the nitty-gritty details of the recipe, so you can create your own spin. Every day this week, we’ll be bringing you a staffer’s favorite quick breakfast recipe. Today, associate photo editor Emily Eisen shares her egg salad toast.
A few years ago, I worked at a general store in Middle of Nowhere, New Hampshire. Harrisville was one of those towns where you knew everyone by name, and every time I think about it, all I can remember is summertime—glistening lakes, dense trees, the picturesque New England that’s photographed for postcards. I’d spend a lot of time at the general store hanging out, eating, and eventually working.
egg-salad-toast-mise
Laura, the owner of the general store at the time, had this amazing ability to turn even the simplest food into something amazing; her passion was infectious. While I worked there, one of the things I was in charge of was making the egg salad. We used farm fresh eggs and, when they were in season, herbs and vegetables from the local community garden. These days, when I want something quick, comforting, and delicious, I think of what Laura would make. I think of this egg salad:
Crack two hard-boiled eggs into a bowl (I like them cooked medium, so they’re still vibrantly yellow at their cores). Add some nice olive oilsalt, and pepper to taste. Chop up any kind of leftover roasted vegetable(broccoli, carrots, beets) and toss ’em in the bowl. Pickles work nicely, too. Toast a slice of bread (I like sourdough or a really seedy whole grain), and in the mean time, mash the egg mixture up.
If I’m making this for a lot of people, like I did at the store, or if I want to bring leftovers to work the next day, I’ll crush the peeled eggs through a wire cooling rack instead of mashing them—it’s way faster, and you get perfectly even pieces of sliced egg. This will keep in the fridge for a couple of days, but you’ll probably want to eat it before then.

No comments: